Friday, May 27, 2011

The project begins...

Hello, and welcome to the 30,000 songs project.

30,000 songs is an idea that I had in the spring of 2011 as I was perusing my vast record collection. Those who know me know that I am an avid fan and collector of music. While my collection is heavily skewed toward punk rock, it also includes blues, hip hop, country, indie rock, classic rock, post-punk, goth, folk, jazz, and lot and lots and lots of Frank Sinatra, as well as a number of unclassifiable oddities, spoken word records, radio plays, and more. It is my goal on this blog to post reviews of every record, CD, and tape in my collection, systematically working through every single recording I own.
Here's how it will work:
I'll begin with LPs, then move to CDs, then work my way through all my 7" records.  I'll complete the process by reviewing the handful of cassettes I still own and the small pile of 78rpm records that have made their way into the collection.

I'll move through my collection as I have it organized, that is, alphabetical by artist (except for CDs that are in non-standard packaging, which are all stacked up higgildy-piggilidy and will be reviewed in an equally random way when I work my way over to them). There will be a couple of exceptions to this: holiday themed albums will be saved for the period around the appropriate holidays, and because I have SO much Frank Sinatra, I'll throw these in on random Fridays as "Frank Fridays." I've also got a few things stowed away that I don't play anymore but retain for sentimental reasons. These often embarrassing little gems will be thrown in here and there, posted as "It came from under the bed..."  Anything new added to the collection which fits in somewhere that I've already passed through will be added at the first possible opportunity.

All of the records will also be entered into a data sheet that I hope to make available and searchable at some point, but that's probably at least a few weeks off at least.

So that's it, in a nutshell.  Join me now as I start the process of reviewing the records, which, I have estimated, will take me through about 30,000 songs....

No comments: